The purpose of this guide is to provide a one-stop-shop for information about East Vandergrift. I hope the information collected here will prove to be interesting & helpful to both longtime residents as well as newcomers.
The Delaware and Shawnee Indians occupied the valley of the Kiskiminetas until they were forced out by settlers. The first recorded deed for the land that now constitutes the Borough of East Vandergrift was on March 5, 1773 and was known as “Three Bottoms”. The land went through nearly two dozen owners over the hundred year period of 1773-1873. One of the early owners had a vineyard along the river and the beautiful sunrise upon it impressed him so that he referred to his land as Morning Sun. This name stayed with the land up to the time it was incorporated into a borough. Many residents still proudly refer to our community as “Morning Sun”.
On Dec 18, 1901 the court decreed that the village of Morning Sun was hereby incorporated into a borough under the name of “THE BOROUGH OF EAST VANDERGRIFT”. The new borough had 75 property owners and a population of 700. For the first ten years the streets were unpaved and muddy. A wooden plank sidewalk was constructed along McKinley Ave. between Reed and Jackson Streets. A flood in 1907 washed out the side-walk as well as the bridge to Apollo. The Apollo Ferry Company transported residents across the river. An Ice Plant opened in 1911 producing up to 37 tons of ice daily.
In 1912 the first sewer line was laid from McKinley to the river, street lights were installed, and the first Post Office opened. The Cohn’s Lumber Yard, located on McKinley Ave between Jackson and Harrison Streets burned in 1913. In 1917 the Vandergrift Lane was paved. By 1920 the population was now at 2,441 (The peak).
In 1933 the school house burned down. In January of 1936 Saint Casimir’s church was destroyed by fire and then a few months later in March 1936 the disastrous Saint Patrick’s Day Flood put fifteen feet of water on McKinley Ave. Many homes washed down the river. By 1940 the population dropped to 2,005. Today the population is at 674 with 331 houses.
Two areas you must not overlook, Trains and the River. The railroad runs through the middle of town. You may think it is hard not to detect a train but after living near them for a while they go almost unnoticed. If fact some folks claim that the noise helps them fall to sleep at night. Stay alert! Cross the tracks carefully. Another threat is the river. The Kiskiminetas River is very swift and has claimed many lives. For more than 100 years the river was severely polluted. Today it is teaming with life and offers unbounded recreational opportunities such as fishing, canoeing, kayaking, or simply taking a dip on a hot summer day. But remember, it is very swift and treacherous. Respect the river!
|Sewer||Kiski Valley Water Pollution Control Authority||724-568-3655||www.kvwpca.com|
|Water||Municipal Authority of Westmoreland County||724-755-5800||www.mawc.org|
|Electric||West Penn Power||1-800-686-0021 (Free)||www.west-penn-power.com|
|Gas||Peoples Natrural Gas||1-800-764-0111 (Free)||www.peoples-gas.com|
|Trash||Borough Service (Friday AM)||724-567-7213||www.evboro.com|
|Emergency||Vandergrift PD & Oklahoma EMS||Emergency 911||n.a|
|School||Kiski Area School District||724-845-2022||www.edline.net/pages/Kiski_Area_SD/|
Located at the east end of Kennedy Avenue in East Vandergrift, with a scenic view of the Kiskiminetas River, this is a great place to rent for any outdoor occasion. Some of the amenities include: a large area for sport activities, electric outlets, horseshoe pits and a covered pavilion.
Stop in the borough office during regular business hours and pick up an application. The rental fee is $100.00 for the day with an additional $100.00 refundable security deposit. You must also sign a release. All other pertinent information can be found on the application.
This guide is a work in progress. Please check back often for updates.